Your Development & Design Resource
RIM's Blackberry Connections Client - First Impressions (Part 2)
05/19/2008 04:10 PM by Chris Toohey
So, once installed, I was greeted with a really slick v8-esc Connections Client icon:
Check out Chris's article to get the how-to on connecting with your BleedYellow credentials.
Once in, we see the Connections Client home page - giving us access to Profiles, Dogears, Communities*, Blogs*, and Activities*.
Profile Search is pretty slick, allowing us to use the Profiles as a Mobile Directory, with call-out capabilities - very cool!
Dogears - this can be useful for the maintenance of mobile device client-friendly links and resources.
The rest of the client - and this is what loses me - is simply links to the web implementations of Communities, Blogs, and Activities.
Yeah - Activities isn't handled in this local client - W.T.F?!
So, to sum up:
- RIM doesn't know how to get me the app.
- Thankfully, our community rocks!
- It looks purty...
- Profiles and Profile Search will give you a pseudo-mobile directory on your device - pretty slick.
- Dogears... ok, I can see where this might be useful.
- Communities and Blogs - meh, grab a feed reader.
- By far the biggest let-down: Activities are not maintained in the device.
That's my "First Impressions" having used this for the past few days, and while it's looks slick and I'll certainly use the Profiles - I'm looking forward to the next release in hopes that they'll include Activites.